Monday, June 11, 2007

The World In A Chip



Everyday at work, something goes wrong with technology. The backup drive fails. The remote desktop connection to the server in our main office doesn't let me through. The remote desktop connection to the server in our main office lets me through, but then crawls at speeds so slow that I might as well not have bothered. The remote desktop connection to the server in our main office lets me through, and operates at reasonable speeds, but then does not let me PDF the documents that I need to. Or it lets me PDF the documents but doesn't let me email it back to myself because Outlook refuses to work for me. The remote desktop connection works like a charm, along with everything that I need on the remote server, but our internal emails aren't working so I can't receive anything anyway.

Everytime this happens, I curse technology. I curse our dependence on technology and I wish it into the depths of the abyss.

And then.. last night... watching my cousin's friend, all the way in the UK, get baptised.. live, on the video feed.. leagues away, on the other end of the globe, but right there, sharing in the joy and the wonder of a baptism.. I know that all this has a purpose. When her friend, all the way in UK, looked up into the camera and thanked my cousin for bringing her to church that day, knowing that she was watching right at that very moment, all the way here in Melbourne.. it all began to make sense. Thanks to technology, we have the whole world in a chip. The family of God isn't separated by oceans and land. Reaching peoples of every tribe and tongue doesn't seem so unachievable anymore. We don't have an excuse anymore. Maybe that's what it's about. Maybe in the grand scheme of God's plan.. all our strides forward in technology, all our major breakthroughs in telecommunications, all serve one purpose. To bring the nations together. To bring us that much closer for Him to come back again.

No comments: