Monday, October 01, 2007

My new housemates

I've never considered myself a commitment-phobe. I mean.. if I'm single now, it's not because I'm afraid to commit... it's more because.. well, and I quote a friend of mine "I'm the best kept secret in town." (Borrowed from one Dr. P)

But then I've been thinking about getting a pet for ages. I've vacillated between a cat, fish, and a bird. Funnily enough, the fish and the bird would be food for the cat. Hmm. I've thought about it for ages, but never actually done it... because.. the commitment!! It depends on me for food and air and clean water and... and... life!! The commitment!!

This weekend.. I walked into PetStock Supplies out in Moonee Ponds near where I live with a girlfriend who needed a new scratching post and food for her cat.. and.. I walked out with.. an aquarium.. and 4 fish. Yeep. I knew it was a hasty decision, but for some reason, it was something I had to do. The tank was on sale, with inbuilt filter and light, and 2 free goldfish. So I got another goldfish (a ryukin, this time) to make it three, and a little sucker fish to help clean the tank of algae.

It's been a long time since I've had to take care of anything, and I'm not regretting my decision at all. Not that fish particularly need much care, sure, but it feels good to take care of something again. So.. a day after I transferred my fish into the tank.. it's now a complete habitat - with plants, gravel, fish, and a sunken battleship ;) Kim warned me against naming them too soon, because apparently, the crucial time for fish is the first few days after it's been transferred into a tank - if it makes it past the first week, they'll be fine. I named them anyway. Harry, Ron and Hermione (yeah, no points for originality).. and Spike. Kim named Spike, and the name stuck.

Before:



After:


Thanks, Kim, for giving me the courage to bite the bullet and get it (more than you realize), and for the moral support and help setting it up. My next fish will be a gorgeous one, and I'll name it after you. *wink*

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

ha ha.. fish? well, at least it moves. i have two dependents - a cactus and a plant. that's about it. thankfully they can go without water for 2 weeks before i forget that it's time to 'feed'them.

addie

Incognito said...

yeah i tried the cactus thing.. they died. Two of them. They're too independent. :D They have to be dependent enough so that I don't FORGET them.

The Girl Next Door said...

hahahah... u'll name the next one after me??? hopefully that one doesn't kick the bucket too soon! =))) i'm sooo glad u made ur hasty decision... and i really do think it brightens ur place up. it's always nice to have something to come home too, even fish - plus i think they start to recognize u as the food-bringer after a while... love the plants and the ship! now i know what to get u for x'mas!

Incognito said...

Hahaha.. no, don't get me more fish.. apparently my tank is at full capacity, because they grow. Assuming they all live the full 8 years of their lifespan! :D

RWHC said...

Ees you willing to take care of an Eyeless Feesh, too? *blub*blub*

Incognito said...

Hahahah... I don't know... it might keep bumping into things, being eyeless and all.. that's a lot of work.