Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Coincidence? Or fate?


Every morning as I go to work, there's always this one guy who gets the same tram as I do into work. The strange thing is.. he's always there. 5 out of 5 times, he's there. Regardless of what time I head into work. Sometimes I head into work at 9am, sometimes at 8.30am, sometimes even at 10am, when I have meetings in the city to head to first. Sometimes I get the tram at the Southern Cross tram stop. Sometimes the Elizabeth St Tram Stop. Sometimes the Swanston St Tram Stop.

Regardless of what tram stop I'm at, or what time it is, he's always there. Always with his Ipod headphones in his ears, and 3 out of 5 days, with his styrofoam cup of coffee - usually from Gloria Jeans. I remember the first time I started taking notice of him, it was because he had on the cutest pair of shoes - black and white checkered. They were brand spanking new, from the looks of it. I bumped into him today on the escalators, and saw that they weren't so pristine and new anymore - such is the passing of time.

I've never talked to him. We've never made eye contact. I've never seen him smile - I think he's very much like me, in the way he exists in a bubble of his own world when he's got his Ipod playing and his cup of coffee. I've never even heard him speak on the phone, although, like me, he smses a lot. We've sat next to each other, stood next to each other, multiple times - aware of each other, but never acknowledging each other. And unless I get a swift injection of courage from somewhere, that's unlikely to change.

3 comments:

RWHC said...

It's amazing how a greeting as simple as a smile and a nod can change everything. Take it from someone who's always moving :)

Does wooonders! Especially with a healthy dose of prayer :D

Anonymous said...

Let's start with "hello"

addie

Incognito said...

I would, Jie, except that he's never ever made eye contact with me! Ever! So it's hard to smile at someone or say hello to someone who's never ever looked at you. Heh.