Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Of Hormones and Grumps.


I'm in a grumpy, grouchy mood. Maybe it's the arctic temperatures. Maybe it's the fact that I'm withering away from the lack of sun. Maybe it's my feet that hate being in closed up shoes but have had to sit in my boots for two weeks due to the arctic temperatures. Maybe it's just the time of the month. I've never really tracked my times of the month. For the same reason I never really refer to the train/tram timetable for arrival times. I figure.. it will come.. when it comes. Knowing when it comes won't make it come earlier, or make it less inconvenient, or make it pass quicker. It comes, when it comes. For that reason, I always have supplies in my bag for whenever it shows up. The only downside, I guess, is that I never know if I'm being grumpy because other people really are incompetent.. or people really are mean... or I have really, truly been wronged.. or whether I'm being grumpy because my hormones have gone to war!

Which brings me to a scary thought. I met up with some friends recently who mentioned that his wife, who has had the contraceptive implant for a year now, gets really, truly irrational during the time of the month when her hormones go AWOL. Then he said the worst part of it is.. she really, truly thinks she's being completely rational! So then I started thinking.. how many things have I screwed up because I was being truly irrational, but I honestly thought I was being completely and utterly rational??

Which then led me to another scary thought. I'm a bottler. I bottle everything up.. unhealthily. I could start a business selling bottled grumps. I have even have Vintage 1990-2000 bottles. I'm not sure if anything after 2000 can be considered vintage. But I digress.

Us bottlers have a tendency to blow very suddenly, and very violently. I've only ever gone truly ballistic once in my life. Ballistic. I, mild-mannered me, got up and stormed out of the restaurant in the middle of lunch. That single outburst was enough to break my relationship apart. So now I'm thinking a very scary thought.

What if I broke up with the only guy I truly ever loved because I was PMS-ing??!!

EEP!!

4 comments:

RWHC said...

I bottle things up, too. And five years ago, I had a horribly fiery temper. Not a very good combination.

One of my worst moments was exploding in the middle of class and punching my OWN brother in the face over something so embarassingly trivial (not being able to score a goal when the net was wide open). You can tell that didn't go over too well.

But I've learned a few things since then. Mainly, my actions are my own, and hormones, temper, or grumpiness included.. I'm still responsible and accountable for what I do.

I like to think that I've matured beyond an extra ability to grow facial hair :p

These days.. I try to remember that. In fact, I'll post up a pic on my blog for you that I've been using as my wallpaper to remind me when Microsoft is being evil that some things may not be that important to get mad about.

It's still our responsibility to decide how we're gonna react to stuff... and I may not truly understand what it means to be a woman (although honestly, what man could?), but I think it's a matter of giving things up before giving in to them.

After all, I know someone who truly ever loves you and he hasn't broken up with you yet. I don't think he ever will actually.

Oh.. and it's not me ;)

Paul Tune said...

Yet, if someone truly loves you, I don't think he'd break up over one outburst. Surely he should know that we're all entitled to our little rants or outbursts once in a while. Sheesh... now I sound like one of those Dr. Phil types.

You know, we should meet up one of these days.

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. I just get whiny a lot. My perfect solution for PMSing is dark dark chocolate. The darker the chocolate the better it is.... it soothes without guilt and I really think you should try it. Take your hinny down to that chocolate botique you took me to and have some expensive over the top individualised chocolate. It helps, really!

addie

drey said...

yay! i agree. chocolate is great. next time you feel like exploding, stuff chocolate into your mouths. or go for a hot shower.

PMS is such a men-misunderstood thing... it's like the headache another person can never hold in their hands.

maybe this man will one day realise that you're normal the other 24 days of the month?