Saturday, March 24, 2007

Graffiti Beauty

Graffiti fascinates me. It really does. In my second year in uni, I learnt a lot about subcultures. The graffitying subculture. I learnt how to look at a wall of graffiti and decipher the power play, the depth of the subculture in a given area, and the ambivalence of a group of people who have no where else to express their creativity than a back alley wall somewhere.

Recently, though, I find myself being simply drawn to the artistic splash of colour - and the skill it would have taken to effect that work of art, with spray cans. Along my train line, everyday, I see a beautiful piece - Asterix and Obelix, in full glory. Full of detail, full of expression. Always wanted to take a picture of that wall, but then the train whizzes by too quickly. These are just a couple down the block from my house. Both of them are on the same wall, side by side, next to a playground. I love the colours.


No comments: