Monday, January 29, 2007

The Great Pretender




Be authentic. Be real. Be yourself.

I contend that none of us really are. To some extent, we all pretend. Every last one of us. Guys pretend to get the girl they want. Girls pretend to get the guy they want. Employees pretend to impress bosses. Children pretend to get the approval of their parents, right from their take their first steps, till the time they watch their own children marry and have children. From the time we learn our timetables in school, till the time we retire from 40 years in the workforce, we are conditioned to pretend.

The very idea of masks is that there is something real beneath the mask. Here's the problem. What happens when you forget what lies beneath? What then? Do you, like Robbie Williams, reinvent yourself every 6 months, proclaiming each self as authentic? Does self-invention and then re-invention become the new authentic?

Identity isn't what it used to be. There was a time when identity was what your card said it was. There was a photo, with your name next to it that said who you are. A tag with your name on it pinned to your shirt.

Blogs. Live Journals. Xanga. MySpace. Ringtones. Each of them allowing you to construct an identity for yourself. An identity as fluid as the next mouse click, the next new song, the next new blog template, the next created avatar. I wonder if people really ever know who they really are. Or does everyone just go with the flow, reinventing themselves with the next technology?

I'd like to think there is a core that we hold on to. Something that keeps us, at the very heart of us, constant. Call it a set of beliefs. Call it a higher power. Call it religion. Call it honour. Call it God. Call it something... but find it, and you'll find something precious. Find it, and hold on to it, and hopefully, you'll find your way home.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Song by Kathy Trocolli

Life can be so good
Life can be so hard
Never knowing what each day
Will bring to where you are
Sometimes I forget
And sometimes I can't see
That whatever comes my way
You'll be with me

My life is in your hands
My heart is in your keeping
I'm never without love
Not when my future is with you

My life is in your hands
And though I may not see clearly
I will lift my voice and sing
Cause your love does amazing things
Lord, I know, my life is in your hands

Nothing is for sure
Nothing is for keeps
All I know is that your love
Will live eternally
So I will find my way, yes
And I will find my peace
Knowing that you'll meet my every need

My life is in your hands
My heart is in your keeping
I'm never without love
Not when my future is with you

My life is in your hands
And though I may not see clearly
I will lift my voice and sing
Cause your love does amazing things
Lord, I know, my life is in your hands

When I'm at my weakest love
You carry me
Then I become my strongest love
In your hands

My life is in your hands
And though I may not see clearly
I will lift my voice and sing
Cause your love does amazing things
Lord, I know, my life is in your hands
I trust you Lord
My life is in your hands

-addie

Anonymous said...

Hang on to yourself - but even yourself - the true self inside, your core changes as you grow.

the more information you get, the more experiences you go through - it makes you re-evaluate yourself constantly (sub-consciously or otherwise)

you think about things, what is acceptable, what you want to portray etc

acceptance, curiousity as to what drives someone, why they are doing that..its all interesting :) to me at least :)

Incognito said...

hmmm. Who said that last bit there? *peer anonymous*